The Bottom Line
Onward Manufacturing is one of the largest grill producers in the world. Their Broil Mate line represents the lower priced line of gas grills, but this model is very comparable to the higher end Broil King grills. This gas grill is big and powerful, but also very basic. This is a gas grill and nothing else. There is no side burner or any other features. The stainless steel body parts are lower grade and simply decorative, but the body is solid and durable.
- Even heating
- Durable construction
- Low-grade stainless steel
- Limited distribution
- Three 13,333 BTU stainless steel tubular burners
- 400 square inches of primary cooking space with a total of 700 square inches
- 40,000 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- Cast aluminum, stainless steel, and powder coated steel construction
- Porcelain coated cast iron cooking grates
- Fold down side tables
- Electric (AA-battery) ignition
- Sold as propane or natural gas - not convertible
- Made in Canada by Onward Manufacturing
Guide Review - Broil-Mate 3-Burner Model# 116454 Gas Grill
A basic gas grill with solid construction, the Broil-Mate 3-Burner is a great choice in the price range though a better choice might be the Broil King Signet 20, which has some upgraded components. The heavy cast iron cooking grates and stainless steel vaporization barrier are built to last and the durable construction and high-quality stainless steel dual burner will make this grill last a long time.
At 40,000 BTUs this grill has plenty of power for its 400 square inches of primary cooking area. Add to this the relatively heavy cast iron cooking grates and you have a gas grill that can really perform.
Constructed from a cast aluminum body with stainless steel panels and powder coated steel frame, the best part is the cooking chamber, though the pedestal that this sits on is a little lightweight.
For an inexpensive grill, this is a very good choice. It would be nice if the decorative stainless steel parts were dropped in favor of a lower price or heavier construction, but this is a relatively minor issue.
This grill has limited distribution, which is unfortunate. It can be found at various stores in Canada.