There are a lot of low-cost grills on the market these days. Unfortunately, most of these grills are very low in quality as well. This Broil-Mate grill may not be fancy or high quality, but for the price (as low as $199USD in some places) it is a well-built grill with a cast aluminum body and a dual control burner (dual zone cooking). This grill certainly won't last forever but it will outlast most any comparably priced unit.
If you don't have a lot to spend then you owe it to yourself to seek this grill out.
- Good quality, low-cost grill
- High heat output
- Good temperature adjustment
- Very basic two burner grill
- One dual control H-type burner with 20,000 BTUs per side
- 400 square inches of primary grilling space for a total cooking area of 700 square inches
- Porcelain coated cast iron grates
- Stainless Steel vaporization barrier
- Piezoelectric push button igniter
- Cast aluminum body
- Propane tank and cover sold separately
- Sold propane only - Not convertible
- Made in Canada by Onward Manufacturing Company
Onward manufacturing makes many grills including the popular and high-quality Broil King line. Broil-Mate is their discount grill brand that sells for a good price but still has many of the same features you find in their more expensive units. While still a discount gas grill, this is a much better unit than comparable grills, the only problem is locating one (this model can be found at Home Depot Stores).
While most of the gas grills selling for under $250USD have switched from cast aluminum bodies to painted sheet metal Broil Mate hasn't. This means a more durable body that can hold in heat better and should last longer than similarly priced units (this one can be found for as low as $199USD). Add to this a good quality stainless steel burner, heavier cooking grates and Onward Manufacturing's linear flow control values and you get a basic, but good quality grill.
In addition, this grill has good heat output. Onward Manufacturing is a Canadian company and they build their grills to work through the Canadian winter. This large grill (400 square inches of primary cooking space) has a 40,000 BTU maximum output and a design that gets heat to your food. The performance of this grill is excellent, but flare-ups can be an issue. Other than that, for the price, this is an excellent gas grill.