These vanilla-flavored butter cookies are baked until the edges are browned and crisp.
Many butter cookie recipes instruct you to remove them from the oven while they are still pale blonde. In this instance, the browned edge adds another dimension to an already delicious treat.
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) room-temperature butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large room-temperature egg
- 3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour (sift before measuring)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350 F. Grease cookie sheet pans or line them with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add vanilla and egg, and beat until light.
- Add sifted flour and salt, and mix well. Drop by half-teaspoonfuls onto prepared pans. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the edges are browned.
- To keep these butter cookies crispy, store in an airtight container.