This brown rice is an easy and tasty side dish that will go with just about any meal. It's a simple recipe with mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper for flavor.
The brown rice is cooked and then combined with the sauteed vegetables. If you prefer to use fresh mushrooms, see the instructions below the recipe.
Feel free to add some shredded carrots to the skillet with the onions and peppers. Garnish the dish with fresh chopped parsley or chopped green onions.
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red or green bell peppers, or a combination
- 1 can or jar (4 to 6 ounces) mushroom pieces, drained
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1.8 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- chopped parsley or green onions, for garnish, optional
- Fill a large saucepan with 2 1/2 cups of water or unsalted chicken or vegetable broth. Add the rice and place the pan over high heat. Bring the rice to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender. If the liquid has been absorbed and the rice isn't quite tender yet, add more water. Let the rice stand for 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter.
- Add the chopped onion and green bell pepper and cook, stirring for 4 to 6 minutes, or until the onion is softened and lightly browned.
- Add the canned or fresh cooked mushrooms (see below), rice seasoned salt, and about 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper to the onions and peppers. Cook for 2 to 4 minutes, or until the rice is hot, stirring and turning frequently.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Use sauteed fresh mushrooms in the rice mixture, or use fresh sauteed wild mushrooms. To saute the mushrooms, melt the 1/4 cup of butter in the skillet. When the butter is hot, add the mushrooms to the skillet along with the chopped onion and bell pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until they are tender and golden brown and the onions are softened and lightly browned. Add the rice and seasonings. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes.
You Might Also Like