If you need a dessert for an American summer party, this is the one! This gorgeous Brownie Flag dessert is perfect and so easy to make.
A brownie is baked in a sheet pan, then frosted and topped with fruit to resemble the American flag. You could use sliced strawberries for the red stripes, but I think raspberries are perfect. Putting the fruit on the brownies is a perfect job for kids.
This is also a great dessert for a party because it must be made ahead of time. Because of the fruit used in this recipe, you should refrigerate the brownies until about 30 minutes before serving time. Take the brownies out of the fridge at that time so they warm up a little before you serve them.
You could make brownies from scratch for this recipe if you'd like. Just bake the brownies and cool them completely before you add the frosting. You could also make frosting from scratch, but I think that the combination of canned cream cheese and white frosting is really delicious.
- 2 (8"x 8" size) packages brownie mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 (16-ounce) cans white frosting
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 3 cups raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9" x 13" pan with nonstick cooking spray containing flour and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the two brownie mixes, water, vegetable oil, and eggs; beat for 50 strokes or until the mixture is combined. Don't worry if there are a few lumps in the batter. Spread the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a knife.
- Bake the brownies for 35 to 40 minutes or until the brownies are just set and have a shiny crust; do not overbake or the brownies will be hard. You can insert a toothpick into the brownies near the center. It should come out with some moist crumbs attached. Cool the brownies completely on a wire rack.
- When the brownies are cool, frost the brownies with both cans of the frosting, then smooth the top using an offset spatula or knife. You can dip the spatula or knife into hot water and then dry it as you work; this will make the frosting really smooth.
- Using the blueberries, make the 'stars' in the upper left-hand corner of the brownies. Using the raspberries, make the 'stripes'. Cover the brownies and chill them until about half an hour before serving time. Cut into squares to serve after everyone has admired your masterpiece.