This is a fast and easy basic buttercream frosting recipe for cakes or cupcakes. This makes enough buttercream frosting for a 2-layer cake or about 12 cupcakes.
Feel free to vary the flavorings or add a few drops of food coloring to the frosting.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- In a mixing bowl with electric mixer, combine the butter with confectioners' sugar. Beat on low speed until sugar is moistened, then beat on medium to high speed for about 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and 1 tablespoon of milk or cream and beat until smooth. Beat in more milk or cream, as needed for spreading consistency.
You Might Also Like