These cookies are super-easy to make, and the recipe can easily be doubled. The cookies are made with a simple shortbread mixture. Dip these delicious buttery shortbread cookies in chocolate or sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- 4 ounces unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 5 1/2 ounces)
- 1/3 cup pecans (finely chopped)
- Optional: 1/2 cup coarse sugar or vanilla sugar (for sprinkling)
- Heat the oven to 325 F.
- Stir the flour, salt, and finely chopped pecans together in a bowl; set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light. Beat in vanilla.
- Stir in the flour mixture, kneading the dough gently with your hands to bring it together, if necessary.
- Press or gently roll out on a lightly floured surface; cut into circles or squares about 1/4-inch thick.
- If desired, sprinkle the cookies with vanilla sugar or coarse sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
- Time will vary with thickness, so check them after 12 to 15 minutes if they're a little thinner.
- Makes about 15 to 18 cookies.
Omit the pecans and drizzle with icing or dip half of each cookie in chocolate coating and sprinkle with more chopped pecans, if desired.
Replace the chopped pecans with chopped almonds or walnuts.
You Might Also Like