These sand tarts are delightful little cut-out butter cookies. The cookies are similar to shortbread. The butter is lightly browned in a saucepan.
Classic Shortbread Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or grease lightly.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter; cook until lightly browned. Remove from the heat and stir until cooled.
- Add remaining ingredients to the browned butter and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate until the dough is thoroughly chilled.
- Roll the dough out on floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with 1-inch cookie cutters.
- Arrange on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes.
- If desired sprinkle warm cookies with sifted confectioners' sugar.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
You Might Also Like