This easy Southern-style fried corn is made with fresh corn kernels, butter, optional sugar, and seasonings. Add a little bacon grease for extra flavor.
If the corn isn't super fresh and sweet, you might want to add a teaspoon of granulated sugar to sweeten it.
Consider sauteeing some finely chopped onions and sweet bell pepper in the butter before adding the corn. It makes a delicious and colorful side dish. Or add a small amount of finely minced jalapeno pepper or chipotle pepper for some heat. A dash of cayenne pepper would be good as well.
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels, about 6 ears
- 2 tablespoons butter, or use part bacon drippings
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sugar, optional
- In a heavy skillet, heat butter over medium-low heat until foamy.
- Add the fresh corn kernels; cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Lower heat if necessary to keep the butter from burning.
- Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning, and add about 1 teaspoon of sugar if desired.
Tips and Variations
- Fiesta Corn - Add 2 tablespoons of finely minced onion and 2 tablespoons of finely minced green and/or red bell pepper. Cook in the skillet for 2 minutes before you add the corn.
- Chipotle Corn - Mince about 1/2 to one whole chipotle pepper in adobo sauce and add it to the corn a few minutes before it is done cooking.
You Might Also Like: