German bread is so addictive that ex-pats and German visitors will go to great lengths to find it abroad. Here we have an (incomplete) list of German bakeries outside of Germany. Let's see if there is one in your area.
The German Bread Haus will ship UPS, or you can find their bread in stores around Ft. Lauderdale, FL. They carry breads such as:
- "Four Seed Fruit and Nut Power"
- "Black Forest Rye"
- "Wheat and Honey"
- "Original Six Grain"
- "German Black Bread"
- "Bavarian Farmer’s Rye"
- Stollen when in season.
Shipping is also possible from the Gugelhupf Bakery in Durham, NC.
They can send you:
- "Black Forest" classic German dark bread (Roggenmischbrot), 30% wheat, 70% rye.
- "Five Grain" - cracked rye, linseeds, sesame and sunflower seeds, 25% wheat, 75% rye.
- "Muesli Bread and Rolls" - Hazelnuts, honey raisins and oats in whole wheat.
- "Vollkorn" - 100% rye
- Many other types available as well.
Zingermans' German-style breads are found in many food markets in Ohio and Michigan. They sell their "Vollkornbrot" online.
Linda Sue Gschnitzer, owner of The Bavarian Pretzel Factory in Greenville, South Carolina writes, "We have various types of German bread such as Bauernbrot and Sonnenblumenbrot to name a couple. All of our breads are made from scratch every day. We also have various cakes, pastries, and sausages. We ship within the US."
The Alpine Bakery in Whitehorse, Canada, has several types of German bread at the bakery, and ships their "Expedition Bread" and "Fruitcake".
They do not sell online.