As the story goes, America's most popular restaurant salad dressing was invented by Caesar Cardini in Tijuana, Mexico. This Caesar salad dressing recipe can also be used as a vegetable dip or sandwich spread.
- 2 egg yolks, from coddled eggs (see procedure below)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 3 whole anchovy fillets
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Parmesan cheese)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- salt to taste
To Coddle the Eggs:
- Place 2 room temperature eggs in a small saucepan.
- Pour in boiling water until the eggs are covered.
- Leave for 1 minute, then drain and run under cold water until the eggs are cool enough to be handled.
- When cool, separate the eggs and reserve the yolks.
To Make Dressing:
- Add the rest of the dressing ingredients to a blender, along with the egg yolks.
- Blend until smooth.
- Refrigerate until needed.