These sandwiches, suggested by Six O’Clock Scramble member Molly Thompson, are fun to make and even more fun to eat. If you are really short on time buy pre-made coleslaw instead of using the recipe below. Serve them with steamed and lightly buttered corn.
And check out these tips on getting the family involved in weekly meal planning!
- ½ (12-ounce) bag coleslaw or broccoli slaw, or shred 1½ cups of cabbage, carrots, and/or broccoli stems
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ tablespoon honey
- 1/16 teaspoon salt
- 1/16 teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons Cajun or Old Bay seasoning
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound flounder, catfish, tilapia, or other thin white fish fillets, cut into 4 even pieces
- 4 whole-wheat buns
- In a medium serving bowl, combine the slaw, mayonnaise, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Set it aside. (If possible, make this up to 24 hours in advance and refrigerate it until you are ready to serve. Mix it well before serving.)
- In a shallow dish or bowl, combine the flour and Cajun or Old Bay seasoning. In another shallow bowl, beat the egg.
- In a large heavy skillet (a cast iron pan works great for this), heat the butter and oil over medium heat until it is bubbling.
- Dip the fish pieces in the flour mixture to coat them. Dip them in the egg, letting the excess drip back into the bowl. Dip them back into the flour mixture to recoat. (Make the corn now, if you are serving it.) Cook the fish until it is nicely browned and crispy, about 2–3 minutes per side. Remove the fish to a plate.
- Toast the buns. Serve the fish inside of the buns and topped with the slaw.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Make and refrigerate the coleslaw, combine the flour and the Cajun or Old Bay seasoning, and beat and refrigerate the egg.
Scramble Flavor Booster: Serve the sandwiches topped with barbecue sauce or your favorite sandwich spreads. Finely grate 1/4 onion into the coleslaw.
(Serving Size: 1 sandwich)
Calories from Fat 110
Total Fat 12.0g
Saturated Fat 3.0g
Trans Fat 0.1g
Total Carbohydrate 34g
Dietary Fiber 4g
Aviva Goldfarb is a family dinner expert and founder and CEO of The Six O'Clock Scramble, an online healthy meal planner. Her new bestselling cookbook is The Six O’Clock Scramble Meal Planner: A Year of Quick, Delicious Meals to Help You Prevent and Manage Diabetes.