The Candy Appley was created by Sam Hernandez. It is a fun, sparkling apple drink that can appeal to almost anyone.
The drink is a combination of a fun moonshine that is flavored with salted caramel and plays against a backdrop of one of the finer apple liqueurs and cranberry juice. To top it off, he adds some sparkling apple cider and the finishing touch is the coconut flake rim, which is unique unto itself and adds a dimension that works very well. If you are not a big fan of coconut, rim only half of the glass and experiment between the two tastes to see which you like better.
- Rim a double old-fashioned glass with coconut flakes, fill with crushed ice, and set aside.
- Pour the whiskey, liqueur, and juice into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well.
- Double strain into the prepared glass.
- Top with the sparkling apple cider.
- Garnish with an apple wheel.
Tip: Coconut flakes can be difficult to stick to a rim. I found it best to use a thick simple syrup to wet the rim.
(Recipe Courtesy: Sam Hernandez)