Great news--Caramel Apples are easy to make at home! This recipe is fast and simple, so it's perfect to whip up when you're short on time, or for little kids to help with.
Once you've learned the basic recipe, it's easy to customize the apples. Dunk them in chocolate, dip them in peanuts, or top them with sprinkles, coconut, or your favorite chopped candy bars!
- 5 ripe, red apples
- 1 pound soft, store-bought caramels
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- 5 wooden skewers
1. Begin by washing the apples and removing their stems. Stick the wooden skewers securely into the stem end of the apples. Place the chopped peanuts into a bowl.Cover a baking sheet with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Boil some water in the bottom of the double boiler. Unwrap the caramels, and place them in the top of the double boiler with the two tablespoons of water.
3. Place the pan with the candies over the boiling water.
Let them heat up, and stir them gently until they are completely heated and smooth.
4. Remove the caramels from the heat. Dip the apples one at a time into the melted caramel and coat them.
5. Dip the bottoms of the apples into the chopped peanuts, and place each apple onto the foil-lined baking sheet. Chill the apples in the fridge until the caramel is set.