This is a cooked fudge-like frosting, perfect for a spice cake or brown sugar cake. It would be great on a chocolate cake as well.
Use this caramel frosting to ice spice cake, a jam cake, or similar cakes. Dip the spatula in hot water if the frosting becomes firm and difficult to spread.
Related Recipe: Fluffy Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Dash of salt
- 3/4 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large saucepan, combine ingredients and mix well to blend. Bring to a boil; cover and cook 3 minutes.
- Uncover and cook to 238° on candy thermometer or until soft ball forms when dropped in cold water. Cool for 3 minutes.
- Beat until thick and spreadable. It should begin to lose its glossiness.
- Spread on layers and over sides of cake.
- As you frost the cake, the frosting might become too stiff. Add a little hot water whenever necessary to make it spreadable. Dip the spatula in hot water to smooth frosting out if needed.
You Might Also Like