When moving to a new home, you usually make sure to give the new address to friends and family, but it is easy to forget some of the other very important offices, agencies, and groups that need to be informed of your change. While making sure the U.S. Postal Service has your new address is the most important, the USPS will only ensure that mail is forwarded from an old to a new address for one year after you move (60 days for newspapers and periodicals). After that time, anything sent to the old address may have a hard time finding its way to you.
Not all the offices and agencies on this list will apply to you, but you can use it to systematically review and check off everyone who needs to be informed of your change-of-address status.
Public Offices and Government Agencies
Unless you are living off the grid, then your life is closely tied to the government whether you realize it or not. There are local municipal agencies, as well as state and federal offices, too. From informing the post office of an upcoming address change, updating your photo identification at the Department of Motor Vehicles, or making sure that you get your Social Security checks—these all can affect you.
- ____Post office
- ____Federal IRS and state revenue agency
- ____Social Security (SSA)
- ____Medicare Administration
- ____DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles)
- ____Family Support/ Child Protection Offices
- ____Department of Veteran Affairs
- ____Federal and State Pension Benefits offices
- ____Unemployment Insurance office
- ____U.S. Customs and Immigration Service
- ____Do-Not-Mail and Do-Not-Call national programs
- ____Pet licensing office
- ____County tax assessment office
- ____Voter Registration
Utilities and Services
The moment you know you are moving, you should notify your local utilities. Arrange a shutoff plan so this way you are not paying for services in an unoccupied home.
- ____Telephone (landline and cell)
- ____Television provider
- ____Internet provider
- ____Electrical utility
- ____Gas utility
- ____Water Department
- ____Water delivery/treatment service
- ____Garbage/recycling services
- ____Sewer utility
Changing your address should not get in the way of your banking. But, if you want to make sure you get your financial statements (if you still get paper statements). Then, you do need to make sure all your financial services have the correct address on file should anything come up.
- ____All loan institutions
- ____Credit card companies
- ____Insurance agencies
- ____Retail credit accounts
- ____Pension plans and IRA/401k administrators
- ____Accountant/ Tax specialist
- ____Investment brokers/ advisors
- ____Credit reporting agencies
Institutions, Organizations, and Clubs
From all the different medical care providers you (and your immediate family may have) to all the social clubs and memberships you maintain, it can seem almost daunting how many people need to know about your address change.
- ____Employers (past and present)
- ____Childrens' schools
- ____Daycare providers
- ____Medical clinic/ doctors
- ____Professional memberships
- ____Civic clubs/ organizations
- ____Children's clubs/ organizations
- ____Neighborhood association
- ____Health clubs
- ____Country club, social club
- ____Alumni groups
- ____Charity organizations
- ____Cost clubs (Costco, Sam's Club)
- ____Membership Clubs (AAA, AARP, ACLU, etc.)
The people who service your home should be given a heads up as much in advance if you plan to leave or move. This way, they can expect the change, plan for finding new clients to fill your spot, and know when their last payment will be coming from you.
- ____Pool maintenance service
- ____Lawn/ Garden service
- ____Pest control service
- ____Delivery services
- ____Home security service
Periodicals and Online Delivery Merchants
In most cases, an online change of address form is all you need to fill to notify online services of your new address switch. To make sure you get the upcoming copies of your favorite address sent to your new home, look online for your specific publication and the preferred method of submitting a change of address.
- ____Online merchants (Amazon, Wayfair, eBay)