This sweet potato cake is made with a built-in topping of brown sugar and pecans. A cake mix makes this cake super easy to prepare and bake.
This recipe is made with a 29-ounce can of sweet potato pie filling. This is probably not available in all areas, but you can make your own sweet potato pie filling — minus the milk and eggs. See the tips for homemade pie filling.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 box vanilla cake mix (French Vanilla, Duncan Hines, or use a butter vanilla cake mix or butter pecan
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 29 oz. can Bruce's sweet potato pie filling (see substitute, below)
- Heat oven to 350 F (177 C/Gas 4). Grease and flour Bundt pan or use a nonstick baking spray with flour (Baker's Joy, etc.).
- In a bowl, combine the brown sugar and chopped pecans. Sprinkle them in the prepared pan.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, mix the dry cake mix with beaten eggs and the sweet potato pie filling. Pour into the Bundt pan and bake for about 1 hour.
- Test for doneness with a long wooden skewer or toothpick -- it should come out clean when inserted into the cake.
- When done, let the cake stand for 10 to 15 minutes on wire rack in pan, then invert it onto a 10-inch plate.
Chantilly's Note: "No frosting is needed because it has its own crunchy brown sugar/pecan topping. Enjoy!"
- If you don't have the large can of sweet potato pie filling, make this basic pie filling (without eggs and milk). IN a bowl combine 2 cups of mashed sweet potatoes, 1 cup of granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Mix well and use in the recipe.
- Have bamboo or wooden skewers on hand for testing deep Bundt cakes or tube cakes.
You Might Also Like