The Bottom Line
This model has been discontinued. It is replaced by the Char-Broil TRU-Infrared 4-Burner Model #463241414.
This Char-Broil gas grill uses their Quantum technology and is an innovative approach to an inexpensive, all infrared gas grill. This unit uses a simple sheet of perforated stainless steel to convert the output of a standard gas burner into infrared. This unit has four burners that put out only 32,000 BTUs under 500 square inches of cooking space but can still reach temperatures around 700 degrees F.
You also get the standard Char-Broil side burner. Unfortunately, this grill is constructed from low quality and thin stainless steel limiting its durability. Each burner has an individual temperature gauge.
- High, even heating
- Individual burner temperature gauge
- Low-quality 430 stainless steel and painted steel construction
- Low-quality stainless steel burners
- "Infrared" components prone to rusting
- Four 8,000 BTU 400 series stainless steel tubular burners under "infrared" diffusers
- 500 square inches of primary cooking area for a total of 680 square inches of grilling space
- 32,000 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- 13,000 BTU standard side burner under a flush mounted cover
- Unique complete "infrared" design for high temperature cooking
- 430 stainless steel and painted steel construction
- Electric (AA-battery) igniter
- Individual temperature gauges for each burner mounted above burner knobs
- Propane tank and cover sold separately
- Made in China by Char-Broil exclusively for Sears Stores
Guide Review - Char-Broil 4-Burner Infrared Model# 463225312
Infrared remains a priority for Char-Broil and this Infrared Grill, exclusive to Sears stores, is similar to the Quantum infrared grills sold at Lowes.
This 4-burner version comes in at a low price (around $500 but frequently on sale for less) and loses some of its stainless steel in favor of cheaper, painted steel. Probably the most unique feature is the individual temperature gauges on each burner. Since heat builds up under the infrared plate this grill can tell you the cooking temperature at the grate level. This isn't an effective way of telling your grill temperature for indirect grilling, but it will tell you how hot your steaks are cooking at.
This four burner gas grill puts out a maximum of 32,000 BTUs under 500 square inches of primary grilling space. This seems low, but because of the efficiency of the infrared this grill can still hit temperatures around 700 degrees F. In good working condition this grill can put out a high, even heat that is great for searing. Additionally, you get a 13,000 BTU side burner. This is the standard Char-Broil side unit, and while flimsy it is functional. There is no rotisserie burner on this unit, but that really isn't necessary.
There are two primary problems with this grill. First, this model, it is made from low grade (400 series) stainless steel. This limits the durability of the grill and will cause it to discolor and rust early.
You can't count on this grill lasting.
The other problem with this grill is the "infrared" system. Basically, what makes this grill and infrared grill is a thin sheet or perforated stainless steel (also 400 series). This sheet needs regular "gentle" cleaning according to Char-Broil to keep the holes in it clear. If this sheet gets too dirty the grill will not work properly. You need to be very careful in maintaining this grill to keep it working.