The Bottom Line
Looking at the specifications sheet in the hardware store, this Char-Broil gas grill seems like the perfect buy. The heat output is perfect for the size and the shiny lid gives it the appearance of durability. The truth is that this gas grill is more show than quality. The porcelain coated cast iron cooking grates will give good sear marks, but the truth is that this is a flimsy box that will rust quickly, heat unevenly, and fail to last long enough to justify even a discount price.
- Large and inexpensive grill
- Decent heat output for the size
- Low powered side burner
- Uneven heating
- Flimsy and lightweight components
- Poor quality stainless steel
- Four 12,000 BTU stainless steel tubular burners
- 480 square inches of primary cooking area for a total of 660 square inches of grilling space
- 48,000 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- 10,000 BTU side burner under a flush mounted cover
- Porcelain-coated cast iron cooking grates
- Constructed 430 stainless steel, powder coated steel and cast aluminum parts
- Push button electric (AA battery) ignition
- Propane tank, rotisserie kit, and cover sold separately
- Made in China by Char-Broil for Lowes Home Improvement Stores
Guide Review - Char-Broil Classic 480 Gas Grill Model# 463436215
If you were to design a grill, it just might have much of the same specifications that this one from Char-Broil does. The heat output is good, if not perfect for the size.
While you might select heavier cast iron cooking grates than the ones on this grill, these are okay, though prone to flaking.
However, if you wanted a side burner, it better be more powerful than this one which won't heat a small pot on a windy day. You could do without the low-grade stainless steel pieces, too.
Unless you spend a lot on stainless there isn't a point in using it on anything that is going to spend its life outside. Lastly, you'd want much better burners and barrier pieces than this grill does.
The simple truth is that this is the perfect gas grill for the person who doesn't know what to look for in a gas grill. At this price, look for something smaller, much more basic, and without the stainless steel body parts. Check out these gas grills under $500 to find something better.