The Bottom Line
This model has been discontinued. It is replaced by the Char-Broil Quantum 4-Burner Model #463247310.
The Char-Broil Quantum represents an innovative approach to an inexpensive all infrared gas grill. This unit uses a simple sheet of perforated stainless steel to convert the output of a standard gas burner into infrared energy. This unit has four burners that put out only 40,000 BTUs under 580 square inches of cooking space but can still reach temperatures around 700 degrees F.
You also get the standard Char-Broil side burner "oven" with griddle. Unfortunately, this grill is constructed from low quality and thin stainless steel limiting its durability. Each burner has an individual temperature gauge.
- High, even heating
- Solid stainless steel construction
- Individual burner temperature gauges
- Low quality 430 stainless steel construction
- Low-quality stainless steel burners
- "Infrared" cooking system can be problematic and require high maintenance
- Four 10,000 BTU 400 series stainless steel tubular burners under "infrared" diffusers
- 580 square inches of primary cooking area for a total of 810 square inches of grilling space
- 40,000 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- 13,000 BTU side burner "oven" with griddle
- Unique complete "infrared" design for high temperature cooking
- 430 stainless steel construction throughout the grill including grates and burners
- Electric (AA-battery) ignition
- Individual temperature gauges for each burner mounted above burner knobs
- Compatible with Char-Broil's "Dual Fuel" system (you buy the conversion kit ($50USD))
- Manufactured in China by Char-Broil exclusively for Lowes Home Improvement Stores
Guide Review - Char-Broil Commercial Quantum Infrared 4-Burner 463247209
Infrared remains a priority for Char-Broil and this Quantum Infrared Grill, exclusive to Lowes Home Improvement stores, is an update of last years model. There are a few changes with this model though the price remains the same (around $500). Probably the most unique feature is the individual temperature gauges on each burner. Since heat builds up under the infrared plate this grill can tell you the cooking temperature at the grate level. This isn't an effective way of telling your grill temperature for indirect grilling, but it will tell you how hot your steaks are cooking at.
This four burner gas grill puts out a maximum of 40,000 BTUs under 580 square inches of primary grilling space. This seems low, but because of the efficiency of infrared, this grill can still hit temperatures around 700 degrees F. In good working condition this grill can put out a high, even heat that is great for searing. Additionally, you get a 13,000 BTU side burner oven with griddle for a wide range of cooking tasks. This is the standard Char-Broil side unit, and while flimsy it is functional. There is no rotisserie burner on this unit, but that really isn't necessary.
There are two primary problems with this grill.
First, this model, like all Commercial Series Char-Broil grills is made from low grade (400 series) stainless steel. This limits the durability of the grill and will cause it to discolor and rust early. You can't count on this grill lasting.
The other problem with this grill is the "infrared" system. Basically, what makes this grill and infrared grill is a thin sheet or perforated stainless steel (also 400 series). This sheet needs regular "gentle" cleaning according to Char-Broil to keep the holes in it clear. If this sheet gets too dirty the grill will not work properly. You need to be very careful in maintaining this grill to keep it working.