The Bottom Line
This model has been discontinued. It is replaced by the Char-Broil RED 3-Burner Infrared Gas Grill Model# 463250511.
This redesigned follow-up to last year's 3-Zone Red is a little smaller and cuts back on metal to bring it in for $150 less (sells for around $450). Sold exclusively by Home Depot, this grill is basically a gas fired metal box that heats up to very high temperatures. Because the food is separated from the burners flare-ups are very rare.
If you cook very fatty foods, like beef ribs, and heat the grill up to its maximum the grease can ignite and cause a pretty spectacular flare-up. This grill can also produce a lot of smoke when cleaning, but the biggest problem is the durability of its construction.
- High, efficient heating
- Low price all infrared design
- Low quality 430 stainless steel construction
- Cooking chamber trough section prone to rusting and potential failure
- Three 8,333 BTU stainless steel tubular burners
- 500 square inches primary cooking area with a total grilling area of 680 square inches
- 25,000 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- 13,000 BTU standard side burner under a flush mounted cover
- Unique "infrared" design produces high temperatures from a low BTU output
- Heavy porcelain coated cast iron cooking grates
- On knob electric igniter (AA battery)
- Painted steel and stainless steel (400 series) construction
- Propane tank, rotisserie kit, and cover sold separately
- Made in China by Char-Broil exclusively for Home Depot
Guide Review - Char-Broil RED 3-Zone Infrared Model #463250509
This model of the RED is a slightly smaller version of last year's Char-Broil RED 3-Zone. Losing 5 inches in width and 54 pounds in weight, this model is scaled down and cheaper so it can appeal to a wider market, but is basically the same grill as before.
There is, however, a dramatic drop in the BTU output of this grill. Because of the design, the RED series grills don't need a lot of fuel to heat up the cooking chamber. However, this output reduction reduces the heat that this grill can produce. This is most likely due to some of the problems with this grill's design.
Three burners focus their heat onto a rounded piece of porcelain coated sheet metal called a trough. The intense heat can cause the porcelain coating to flake off and expose the metal to the elements. This will lead to rusting. Once this rusts through the grill will be unusable. Warranty on this part is two years but doesn't cover rusting.
This grill comes equipped with a standard function 13,000 BTU side burner. Since the burners are isolated there is virtually no chance of flare-ups and so you won't need a rotisserie burner. Basically, this is a full function gas grill (rotisserie kit optional) for around $450USD.
The rest of the grill uses a combination of painted steel and lower grade stainless steel with plastic knobs. The stainless steel body parts are prone to discoloring and rusting over time so this grill needs to be kept clean and protected from the elements.
If you buy this grill make sure you get a good cover for it.