The Bottom Line
For two years this grill has been in development. Char-Broil licensed the TEC infrared burner technology to produce a grill that can generate incredible temperatures and be the cutting edge of the gas grill industry. This three burner version of the Char-Broil/TEC grills uses one of these burners as a searing burner to give you the heat you want. Constructed of 304 stainless steel, this is a well-built grill.
Unfortunately, there are a few flaws. The side table covers require an "inventive" rotisserie system and the doors are clumsy. The biggest problem, however, is in the TEC burner itself.
- TEC burner represents the peak of grill technology
- Complete 304 stainless steel construction
- Strong parts availability from Char-Broil
- Full Feature Grill
- Lightweight construction with thin metals
- Limited warranty on expensive parts
- Doors and not well designed and are not well attached
- Oversized side table lids get in the way
- TEC burner is flimsy, unreliable and potentially dangerous
- Two 12,000 BTU Stainless Steel burners. One 12,000 BTU TEC infrared main burner
- 500 square inches primary cooking area with a total grilling area of 680 square inches
- 36,000 BTU output from all main burners (including TEC infrared burner)
- Dual wall lid provides good heat retention and insulation
- One 13,000 BTU cast brass side burner under a flush fitting cover
- 8,000 BTU rear mounted infrared rotisserie burner. Rotisserie kit extra
- Electronic Ignition
- Stainless steel grates and barrier
- Propane tank and cover sold separately
- Sold Exclusively through Lowe's Home Improvement Stores
Guide Review - Char-Broil/TEC Series Triple Burner Gas Grill (Model #463268307)
This model has been discontinued.
To understand this grill there are 3 things you should know:
One: TEC didn't make the infrared burner in this grill. The deal between Char-Broil and TEC is purely about technology licensing. TEC gets exposure for their technology and Char-Broil gets cool technology (that might just be a marketing hook) to sell grills. Since Char-Broil is little more than an importer these days the infrared burner in this grill is made in China under contract. Char-Broil will support this burner and provide parts.
Two: The Char-Broil/TEC series grills are unique amongst all Char-Broil grills. There really isn't anything in this unit that Char-Broil has put in any previous grill. This makes it very difficult to evaluate the longevity and durability of this unit. Based on materials, fasteners, and components I have to say that the construction is okay, but not excellent. In fact I find it lightweight and weak in many regards.
Three: The new TEC infrared burner is pretty amazing technology, but it is still very new, not well tested on a mass-market scale and not radically better than previous infrared technology. This is the important part. This burner takes longer to heat up (about 10 minutes) than the previous technology.
The heat output and cooking times on this technology are the same as the older technology. What this burner does is eliminate flare-ups (not a big problem on older burners if you pay attention) and improves the efficiency of the burner.
The only stand out feature of this full feature grill is that TEC burner that has proven to have flaws. Screws that hold the burner together can't take the heat. If you have one of these grills you need to inspect the burner from broken screws. A damaged burner can be dangerous to use. Though no recall has been issued, Char-Broil will send you a new burner.