The Bottom Line
This model has been discontinued. It is replaced by the Char-Broil TRU-Infrared 4-Burner Model #463241414.
The Char-Broil TRU-Infrared is nothing more than a new name for the Quantum grill that has been available at Lowes for the past several years. For the most part this is a completely normal gas grill. What Char-Broil has done is put a perforated sheet of metal directly under the cooking grate.
This stops the flow of air and converts the heat of the burners into infrared heat. In reality, this grill doesn't grill differently than a standard grill. The problem is that the TRU-Infrared grills require extra care and are prone to rusting of the infrared "screen".
- Even heating
- Complete stainless steel construction
- Individual burner temperature gauges
- Low quality 430 stainless steel construction
- Low quality stainless steel burners
- "Infrared" cooking system can be problematic and require high maintenance
- Four 10,000 BTU 400 series stainless steel tubular burners under "infrared" diffusers
- 580 square inches of primary cooking area for a total of 810 square inches of grilling space
- 40,000 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- 13,000 BTU side burner "oven" with griddle
- Unique complete "infrared" design for high temperature cooking
- 430 stainless steel construction throughout the grill including grates and burners
- Electric (AA-battery) igniter
- Individual temperature gauges for each burner mounted above burner knobs
- Compatible with Char-Broil's "Dual Fuel" system (you buy the conversion kit ($50USD))
- Manufactured in China by Char-Broil exclusively for Lowes Home Improvement Stores
Guide Review - Char-Broil TRU-Infrared 4-Burner Model #463241413
Infrared remains a priority for Char-Broil and this "TRU-Infrared" Gas Grill, exclusive to Lowes Home Improvement stores, is the replacement of last year's model which virtually identical, in fact, nothing has been changed with this model except the model number. The price remains around $500. Probably the most unique feature is the individual temperature gauges on each burner. Since heat builds up under the infrared plate, this grill can tell you the cooking temperature at the grate level. This isn't an effective way of telling your grill temperature for indirect grilling, but it will tell you how hot your steaks are cooking at.
This four burner gas grill puts out a maximum of 40,000 BTUs under 580 square inches of primary grilling space. This seems low, but because of the efficiency of infrared this grill can still hit temperatures around 700 degrees F. In good working condition this grill can put out a high, even heat that is great for searing. Additionally you get a 13,000 BTU side burner oven with griddle for a wide range of cooking tasks. This is the standard Char-Broil side unit, and while the lid is flimsy, it is functional. There is no rotisserie burner on this unit, but that really isn't necessary.
There are two primary problems with this grill. First, this model, like all Commercial Series Char-Broil grills is made from low grade (400 series) stainless steel. This limits the durability of the grill and will cause it to discolor and rust early. You can't count on this grill lasting.
The other problem with this grill is the "infrared" system. Basically what makes this grill and infrared grill is a thin sheet or perforated stainless steel (also 400 series). This sheet needs regular "gentle" cleaning according to Char-Broil to keep the holes in it clear. If this sheet gets too dirty and grill will not work properly. You need to be very careful in maintaining this grill to keep it working.