The Bottom Line
With the high price of stainless steel and the problems, many grills have had many manufacturers and retailers are turning to colors. This big, black gas grill is enamel painted and contains virtually no stainless steel other than burners and cooking grates. This allows Brinkmann to pump this big grill up with 60,000 BTUs of primary output, a full rotisserie system with infrared burners, two side burners, and a dedicated smoker burner.
This powerful grill is designed to impress even if it doesn't shine at a price around $700USD. Of course, even without the expensive stainless this grill still has limitations.
- Large, full feature gas grill
- Cart mounted side burners
- Dedicated smoker burner with removable tray
- Lower quality stainless steel cooking grates
- Enamel painted body can be easily scratched
- Lightweight burners and internal components
- Three 20,000 BTU U-Shaped 304 stainless steel burners
- 688 square inches of primary cooking space for a total grilling area of 908 square inches
- 60,000 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- Two 10,000 BTU side burners mounted on cart
- 14,000 BTU rear mounted infrared rotisserie burner with full kit
- 3,500 BTU dedicated smoker burner with slide out smoker box
- 400 series stainless steel cooking grates
- Fully enclosed cart with fold down side tables, two casters, and two wheels
- Black painted steel body
- Sold exclusively through Home Depot Stores. LP tank and cover sold separately.
Guide Review - Charmglow 3-Zone with Smoker Model# 810-8905-S
This model has been discontinued.
In my opinion this big, black gas grill represents a step in the right direction. The push towards big, inexpensive stainless steel grills over the last few years has given us a number of problematic grills.
Many of these shiny units have been filled with low quality components, quickly rusted and simply not worked properly. With this unit Home Depot (the retailer) and Brinkmann (the maker) has eliminated all that costly stainless steel and produced a big, full feature grill for around $700USD. Unfortunately they fell into the temptation to put in more than they needed to make this a good grill and still cut back on the overall quality.
What this grill gives you is a good heat output from three 20,000 BTU main burners and great features like a full function rotisserie system and dedicated smoker box with smoker burner. You also get a well built pair of cart mounted side burners. There is also a good cart on a pair of casters and a pair of wheels that has two drawers and a large cabinet space for your propane tank. The side tables on this cart fold down making it easier to store this grill (which is good, because this is a big grill).
All in all the materials used in this grill are of good quality. The main burners are thin but made from good quality (304) stainless steel. One of the big problems with this unit is the paint job. A couple of good scratches on the painted surface and you can have a serious rusting problem.
The warranty specifically says that scratched and rust are not covered so make sure you cover this grill and be careful with your metal grilling tools.
While this isn't a bad grill you can certainly do better.