This tater tot casserole is an inexpensive, yet filling, meal that both adults and kids will love. What I love about it is that it is so versatile. I can choose to make it exactly according to the recipe below, or make slight variations in ingredients and add my favorite veggies for a change of taste.
Tater Tot Casserole: Preparation Tips
Although I recommend low-sodium cream of mushroom soup for this recipe (because it allows you to control how much salt you want), you can use regular cream of mushroom soup and just reduce the amount of salt you add to the ground beef, if you prefer.
When it comes to the meat filling, I change that up once in a while as well. Sometimes I use ground turkey, sometimes it's ground chicken, and sometimes I use a combination of ground beef and ground turkey to cut down on the calories from fat (ground beef has a little more fat then the other two meats.)
Don't Miss: One-Skillet Cheesy Beef and Macaroni
There is no need to thaw out the tater tots, as you can usually cook them from frozen. Tater tots have little moisture in them to begin with and thawing them out may make them mushy. If you would like to add other vegetables besides potatoes, canned green beans or corn are great additions into the bottom of the pan before layering the ground beef. Sometimes I may even sweat some onions, then brown my meat with the onions for a bit of added nutrients and flavor.
However you decide to jazz up your casserole, this simple tater tot casserole recipe is a delicious base to start with.
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 10-ounce can low-sodium cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream (low fat is okay)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 32-ounce. package frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray (look for a pan with a depth of at least 2 inches so that you can layer your ingredients).
- Brown ground beef. Season with salt and pepper, while browning. Drain.
- Spread ground beef in the prepared baking dish. Whisk together soup and sour cream. Spread over ground beef in an even layer.
- Sprinkle one cup of cheddar cheese over the soup layer.
- Top with tater tots.
- Bake 30 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake another 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Once done, let casserole set for 5 minutes before serving.
Don't Miss: Ground Beef Casseroles