These gussied-up mashed potatoes are a refreshing change from everyday potatoes. Cheddar cheese and green onions transform these simple mashed potatoes into something special.
Use sharp or mild cheddar cheese in the dish, or use a blend of cheddar and colby or Monterey Jack cheese. A few tablespoons of cooked crumbled bacon would be great as well.
- 3 pounds baking potatoes, russets
- 3/4 cup half-and-half, milk, or light cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Peel the potatoes and cut them into large chunks; rinse well.
Put the potatoes in a saucepan and cover them with water; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and boil gently for about 20 to 25 minutes, until tender.
Meanwhile, heat the half-and-half, milk, or light cream and butter in a saucepan over low heat until warm enough to melt the butter.
Drain the potatoes and transfer to a large bowl.
Add the warm half-and-half and butter; mash until smooth.
Stir in shredded cheese and sliced green onions. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Make-Ahead Tip - Make the potatoes an hour or two in advance and keep them warm in a well-buttered slow cooker.
- Add 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley in addition to the green onions.
- Replace the sliced green onions with a few tablespoons of fresh snipped chives.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of cooked crumbled bacon to the potatoes.
- Replace 1/4 cup or more of the half-and-half with sour cream.
You Might Also Like