These cheese twists are similar to cheese straws and very easy to prepare. Use share Cheddar in these delicious cheese twists, and add a generous dash of ground cayenne pepper.
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder, and cayenne pepper into a medium mixing bowl. Cut in butter or margarine and cheese with a pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle cold water over mixture and mix lightly with a fork until mixture holds together and leaves the side of the bowl.
- Roll out to a rectangle about 12x10 inches on a lightly floured board. Divide in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into strips 1/2-inch wide. Lift strips carefully and twist gently.
- Place twists 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 425° F (220° C/Gas Mark 7) for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Carefully transfer cheese twists to wire racks to cool.
You Might Also Like