This German cheesecake is made with quark. If you don't have access to it, it's very easy to make with this homemade quark recipe. Purchased cheese or homemade, you will receive rave reviews on the taste.
This cake is not nearly as sweet as some you find in other cultures, which a lot of people prefer. It's great with coffee or tea.
- 2 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 9 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cold water
- 27 ounces quark (20% fat)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup oil (neutral oil)
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1 vanilla bean scraped)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup milk
Make the Crust
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and 4 tablespoons sugar. Cut in the butter until pea-sized crumbs form. Add the egg yolk and cold water and mix until a ball form. Wrap in plastic place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Using 2/3 of the dough, roll out a circle big enough to cover the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan. Roll the remaining dough into a rope, flatten with a rolling pin and line the sides of the pan. Where the bottom meets the sides use some water and pressure to seal.
- The crust should seal so that there is little or no leakage. Use a bit of cold butter between the pan and dough to help it stay upright and build up the sides so that they are thicker on the bottom, thinner at the top.
- Heat oven to 350 F.
Make the Filling
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the quark with 1 cup sugar until smooth.
- Add the oil and 3 egg yolks and mix thoroughly. Add vanilla or vanilla bean seeds if using and the milk. Beat until evenly distributed. Fold in reserved egg whites until just combined. Pour the filling into the crust.
- Bake on the second rack from the bottom for 50 to 60 minutes. Do not open the oven door until the last 10 minutes. The cake will rise and become resistant to the touch. Don't be disappointed when this cake falls a bit when it cools—it's supposed to.
- When the cake is done, turn off the oven, open the oven door and allow the cake to come to room temperature in the oven.
- Remove and refrigerate until serving.