It’s time for the Super Bowl, and in our house that means a hot dip will be served. Serve this with these great flat pretzel crisps, or tortilla chips, pita chips, bagel crisps or crackers, and an array of vegetables.
This is a decadent dip, but you can feel a bit better knowing that you have managed to work kale into it. Make sure you chop the kale finely, so it becomes very tender and blends in completely to the dip. You can use other cheeses in place of the Gruyere, such as Swiss or Jarlsberg. I would also like to try this with cheddar, though I would probably use a white cheddar so the green color doesn't get muddy.
You can make this ahead of time and reheat it in the oven, or even the microwave if you've used a microwave safe dish. For a nicely browned top, run it under the broiler for a minute at the end.
For more Super Bowl food ideas, check out how these other about.com experts celebrate their Game Day:
Super Bowl Party Recipe Ideas
Super Bowl Food and Recipe Ideas
Top 25 Super Bowl Recipes
Game Day Appetizers for Entertaining
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus 1 tablespoon for sprinkling
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a shallow 1-quart baking dish.
2. Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat until melted. Add the scallions and sauté for 3 minutes until slightly tender. Add the kale and sauté for another 4 minutes until tender. Add the cream, and stir to loosen any bits that have stuck to the bottom of the pan, simmer for one more minute.
3. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl, and add the cream cheese, sour cream, lemon juice, cayenne, Gruyere and ½ cup Parmesan.
Mix to blend completely, and transfer to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of Parmesan over the top. Bake for about 25 minutes until hot and bubbly.