A cake mix and cherry pie filling make these cherry crumb bars super easy to prepare.
Use cherry pie filling or thickened cherries in juice to make the filling for these bars.
One reader said she made the bars with her pre-teen kids. She added some extra oats to the crust And before she added the crunchy topping, she topped the cherry filling with two broken chocolate Hershey bars.
- 1 pkg. white (or yellow) cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups rolled quick oats, divided
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) margarine or butter, room temperature,
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (21 oz.) can cherry pie filling or two cans of pitted sweet or dark cherries in juice, thickened (see below*)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine cake mix, 6 tablespoons of the butter and 1 cup of the rolled oats. Reserve 1 cup of this for the crumb topping and set aside.
- To remaining mixture in the bowl, add egg; mix well. Press into pan. Pour cherry filling over crust; spread to cover.
- In a large bowl, add the reserved 1 cup crumb mixture, the remaining 1/4 cup oats, the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, the chopped pecans, and brown sugar. Mix well. Sprinkle over cherries.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until the topping is lightly browned.
*If using canned (15 oz each) cherries in juice, pour into a 2-quart saucepan. Combine 3 tablespoons cornstarch with a little of the juice and stir to dissolve; stir into cherry mixture. Add 1 to 4 tablespoons of sugar, or to taste. Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until thickened. If needed, thicken more with a little more cornstarch dissolved in a small amount of cold water.