This easy dessert is made with a crunchy pretzel crust. The slightly salty crust and sweet filling and topping make this an extra special dessert.
See the variations below the recipe for a sweet cookie or graham cracker crust.
This is similar to the classic strawberry pretzel salad or dessert.
- 1 1/2 cups finely crushed pretzels
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 can (12 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups (about half of an 8 ounce container) frozen lite whipped topping, thawed
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- In a large bowl, combine the crushed pretzels, 1/2 cup of sugar, and melted butter. Blend well. Press the pretzel mixture into a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl with an electric mixer on low, combine the condensed milk and water until well blended. Add the pudding mix and beat on medium high for 2 minutes.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Fold in the whipped topping until well incorporated. Spread over the cooled crust and refrigerate until the filling is firm.
- Spoon the cherry pie filling over the filling layer. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
- If desired, top each serving with a dollop of freshly whipped cream or whipped topping.
- If you prefer a sweet graham cracker crust, use 1 1/2 cups of crushed graham crackers, vanilla wafers, or shortbread cookies instead of the pretzels and increase the sugar from 1/4 to 1/3 cup.