Chicken breasts are cooked with zucchini and a garlic cream sauce in this recipe. It's a very easy recipe, and cooks quickly.
The chicken and zucchini combination can be served over pasta or rice, or serve it along with mashed or baked potatoes. One reader replaced the zucchini with mushrooms and felt the flavor was even better. Another reader used rotisserie chicken in the dish. See the comments and suggestions below the recipe.
If you don't have a large enough skillet, cook the zucchini and onions separately. If the chicken breasts are quite large, cut them in half horizontally to make thinner cutlets.
Easy Chicken Parmesan
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 chicken breast halves or cutlets
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups zucchini, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1/2 cup diced green onions
- Garlic Cream Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large clove garlic, minced (or 2 medium)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 small (3 oz) package of cream cheese
- 1 can chicken broth (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- kosher salt, to taste
Chicken and Vegetables
- In a skillet or sauté pan over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup of butter; add the chicken breasts; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 3 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is browned.
- Add the sliced zucchini and onions. Continue cooking, stirring until zucchini is crisp-tender.
Garlic Cream Sauce
- In 2-quart saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter; add garlic.
- Cook for 1 minute, then stir in flour and cook until smooth and bubbly.
- Add cream cheese, chicken broth, and pepper and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until sauce is smooth and thickened. Taste and add salt, as needed.
- Serve the dish on a bed of rice or pasta. Layer the zucchini and then the chicken breasts on top then pour some of the sauce over each chicken breast.
From Colleen Haass
Reader Comments and Suggestions
"I changed just a couple of things. I sauteed the onions and zucchini and sprinkled with Janes Krazy Mixed Up Salt. When the zucchini was halfway cooked I put pieces of a seasoned rotisserie chicken in with it. I decided to use the fine egg noodles instead of rice mainly to just save time, but it was really good. My new favorite!!" Terri
"This recipe is wonderful. My husband had two huge plates full. This is the best recipe I have tried in a long time." N.B.