Chicken broccoli ziti alfredo bake is a simple and elegant one-dish meal. You can substitute meatballs or chopped ham for the chicken if you'd like. Or you can use another type of pasta shape, such as penne or rigatoni, instead of the ziti.
Rotisserie chickens are a wonderful way to get cooked chicken with no effort. They are sold at most large supermarkets. Remove the skin and bones and cube the meat; this is easier to do if the chicken is still warm. Let it stand until it's cool enough to handle because these chickens are sold piping hot. Each chicken should yield about 3 cups of cubed meat.
Purchased alfredo sauce is one of the best convenience foods on the market. The sauce is basically a white sauce and is creamy and smooth. You can buy this sauce plain, or flavored, such as roasted garlic or cheese. Or you can make your own white sauce; use 4 cups of milk to yield enough sauce for this recipe.
You can make this casserole ahead of time; prepare it, pour it into the baking dish, then cover and chill in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Let the dish stand at room temperature for about 20 minutes, then bake it, adding about 10 minutes to the baking time. The casserole should be browned on top and bubbly around the edges; then it's ready to eat.
- 1 16 oz. package ziti or penne pasta
- 1 rotisserie chicken (meat removed and cubed)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 16 oz. jars alfredo sauce
- 1 16 oz. package frozen broccoli florets (thawed and drained)
- 2 cups Havarti or cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Spray a 9" x 13" glass dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add some salt.
- Cook the pasta in the water for one minute less than recommended cooking time; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add alfredo sauce and bring to a simmer. Stir in Havarti or cheddar cheese until melted.
- Stir the cooked and drained pasta, the broccoli, and the chicken into the sauce mixture until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the casserole at 375 F for 45-55 minutes or until the mixture is bubbly and cheese on top begins to brown.