This creamy baked chicken and mushroom dish may remind you of chicken paprikash, a Hungarian specialty of chicken and onions in a sour cream sauce seasoned with paprika. This recipe features mushrooms instead of onions. When combined with the sour cream, it is reminiscent of the casseroles popular in the 1970s, creating a cozy baked chicken dish that will satisfy your comfort food craving.
Depending on which type of paprika you use, the flavor of the dish can range from mild to hot. Most supermarkets carry the mild paprika, which may be from Spain, California, South America or Hungary. If you'd like a stronger seasoning you can find the more pungent varieties in ethnic markets.
You can keep this recipe basic by using white button mushrooms, or you can make it a bit more interesting by choosing shiitake or baby bellas. The creamy sauce makes this dish ideal when served over hot cooked rice or egg noodles.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds chicken pieces
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms (white button, crimini, shiitake, baby bella), sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a clean plastic or paper bag, combine flour with salt and pepper. Add chicken pieces and shake to coat with flour mixture.
- Melt butter in an ovenproof skillet over medium heat watching to make sure the butter doesn't burn. Add the chicken pieces, in batches if necessary, and brown chicken on all sides. (If you cooked chicken in batches, add all back into the skillet.)
- Mix in sour cream, chicken broth, mushrooms, and paprika. Gently stir to combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- If the skillet is not ovenproof, transfer mixture to a casserole dish.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes, or until chicken is tender.