This comforting chiles rellenos casserole recipe is made with eggs, green chiles, and ground beef. It's a tasty one-dish meal, perfect with a salad any night of the week. I used 3 cans of diced green chile peppers in the dish pictured.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 to 3 cans (4 ounces each) whole green chiles, cut in half lengthwise, seeded
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese or Mexican blend of cheeses
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- dash hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- Heat the oven to 350° F. Lightly grease an 11-by-7-inch baking dish or a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- In a heavy skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef and onion until the beef is browned and no longer pink and the onion is translucent. Drain well. Sprinkle beef with half of the salt and pepper.
- Place half of the drained and halved (or diced) chile peppers in the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the chile peppers and then top with the ground beef mixture.
- Arrange the remaining chiles over the ground beef mixture.
- In a mixing bowl combine the milk, flour, salt, pepper, eggs, and several dashes of hot pepper sauce. Beat until smooth.
- Pour the egg mixture over meat and chile mixture.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let the casserole cool for 5 minutes before serving.
You Might Also Like
Egg Equivalents for This Recipe
Most recipes are based on large eggs. If you have to substitute with medium eggs, use 4. For extra large eggs, use 4, and if you have Jumbo eggs, use 3.