Make your own Chinese 5 Spice powder seasoning mix using either ground or whole spices. This fragrant mixture is delicious in any stir-fry recipe, or you can rub it onto chicken before you roast it. Also try mixing a teaspoon with some oil and vinegar and use it to baste steak or pork while it's on the grill.
Make sure that you use the freshest spices when making your own mixes. They should smell very strong and be very fragrant. For the freshest taste, grind your own spices from the whole type, but this mix is still very good made with pre-ground spices.
As with any spice mixture, store in an airtight container in a dry, cool place. Keep spices away from direct sunlight. The best place for spices is in a drawer that is not near the stove, since heat can make spices less intense.
If you can't find Szechwan pepper, use a combination of green, white, and black pepper. If you grind them yourself the flavors will be more intense.
- 1 teaspoon ground Szechwan pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground star anise
- 1-1/4 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon. ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon. salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Combine the pepper, star anise, fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon, salt, and pepper in a small airtight container and mix well.
- Store in a cool, dry place up to 1 year. After a year, spices tend to lose their flavor.