If you are worried that the heat from the chipotles will be too much for some members of the family you can reduce the amount in the recipe. Or, make a few of the burgers with a smaller amount of the sauce, and spike up the rest of the ground beef with more heat for those who like the burgers with a kick.
For even more heat, stir a little of the chipotles in adobo into some mayo with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice, and you have a creamy spicy burger topping (also great on sandwiches).
- 2 pounds ground beef (80/20%)
- 2 tablespoons pureed chipotle in adobo sauce (see Note)
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ⅓ cup minced onion
- For the Condiments:
- 2 tomatoes (sliced)
- 1/2 cup onion (sliced)
- 4 lettuce leaves (large)
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- In a large bowl combine the beef, pureed chipotles in adobo, salt and onion. Hands are best for this.
- Form the mixture into 4 patties, and use your thumbs to make slight indents in the center of each burger, which will cause them to end up flat when they cook.
- Preheat the grill to medium high. Grill the burgers for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until they are done to your liking. Serve on the buns (toasted if you wish) with lettuce, tomatoes, onions or anything you like!
Note: To make pureed chipotles in adobo, simply buy a can of chipotles in adobo sauce, dump the whole thing into a food processor and purée. The sauce will keep in a tightly covered container in the fridge for about 2 months, at least.
There are endless burger combinations to try beyond the classic cheeseburgers. Check out these other great burger recipes, including beef, turkey, and chicken burgers:
Caramelized Onion and Parmesan Burgers
Thai Chicken Burgers with Quick Pickled Carrots
Saucy Meatball Sliders from Real Baby Food
Chipotle Barbecue Turkey Burgers
Buffalo Turkey Burger Sliders
Fork-in-the-Road Burgers (with a Kick)
One way to get creative with your burger is to add toppings. Sauteed vegetables, flavorful sauces, and creamy cole slaws can make for a more interesting creation:
Asian Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
Spicy Cole Slaw
Kohlrabi, Green Cabbage, and Broccoli Rabe Slaw
And because putting things between two slices of bread is genius, don't miss out on these yummy sandwiches:
Grilled Chicken and Avocado Flatbread Sandwich
Great Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Cajun Fish Sandwiches with Crunchy Slaw
The Ultimate BLT Sandwich
The Ultimate Bacon, Egg and Cheese Sandwich with Cheesy Dipping Sauce
The Ultimate BLT Grilled Cheese
Pretzel Peanut Butter S’mores Sandwiches