The chivito is the national sandwich of Uruguay. It's not for the faint of heart -- or appetite. Its importance in Uruguay is on a par with hamburgers in the United States, fish and chips in the U.K., the Cuban sandwich in Cuba or steaks in Argentina.
The chivito (which translates as "little goat") is a serious sandwich filled with meat. The star ingredient is a slice of churrasco, which is grilled beef sliced thin. The beef is topped with slices of ham, bacon, lettuce and tomato, melted mozzarella cheese and a fried egg.
Optional toppings include cooked onions, olives, peppers, and pickles. Salsa golf, a mixture of ketchup and mayonnaise that is popular in Argentina and Uruguay, is the perfect condiment for this sandwich.
You might want to eat this with no accompaniments since it is a balanced meal in itself of (tons of) protein, vegetables, and bread. But if you want a side, choose cole slaw, french fries or onion rings for a tasty combo. Have a beer to wash it all down.
- 8 slices of bacon
- 2 beef fillet steaks (or 4 thin slices of grilled steak)
- Coarse salt and pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs
- 4 very large sandwich buns (large ciabatta rolls are a good choice)
- 4 tablespoons Ketchup
- 4 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1 head of lettuce
- 4 slices of deli ham
- 4 tomato slices
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon slices until they are crispy. Set aside on paper towels to cool.
- If you're using steaks, drain the excess bacon fat out of the skillet. Slice each fillet in half crosswise to make 2 thin steaks, which will give you a total of 4.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt and use a mallet to pound the steaks even thinner.
- Heat the skillet over medium-high heat until hot and place steaks on the skillet. Cook for about 2 minutes per side, or until they reach the desired doneness. Place on paper towels to cool.
- Wipe the skillet clean. Melt the butter in over medium heat and fry the eggs sunny-side up until they are done as you prefer.
- Spread the inside of buns with ketchup and mayonnaise.
- Place the lettuce pieces over the bottom halves of the buns.
- Top with 2 slices of bacon, a slice of beef, a slice of ham, a slice of tomato and a slice of mozzarella.
- Place the sandwiches, uncovered, under a preheated broiler briefly to melt the cheese. Keep a close eye on the sandwiches so the cheese doesn't burn.
- Remove the sandwiches from oven and place the fried egg over the cheese, then top with the other half of the bun.
- Serve immediately.