Looking for an easy vegan chocolate cake recipe to try, but want to try something without egg replacer? Look no further.
This easy vegan chocolate cake recipe (made without egg replacer) comes from Iona. Iona and her daughter loved this vegan chocolate cake so much that they emailed me to say that they wanted me to share it with everyone, so here it is!
See also: What is a vegan? What do vegans eat?
Iona and her daughter's easy vegan chocolate cake recipe uses vinegar instead of egg replacer, so it's a great vegan chocolate cake recipe if you're all out or can't find any egg replacer (or if you're just new to vegan cooking and baking or making a cake for a vegan friend and don't want to invest in a box of egg replacer you're not sure you'll use).
Thanks for sharing your cake recipe with all of us, Iona!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- Optional: 1/2 cup mixed chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup cold water (or soy milk)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease and flour an 8-inch square or 9-inch round baking pan.
- This cake needs to get into the oven right away after preparing the batter, so make sure you're ready to go once you start.
- Next, sift together the flour, baking soda, the unsweetened cocoa, and the sugar in a large bowl. In separate small bowl, combine the vegetable oil, the cold water or soy milk, the orange juice and the vanilla extract. Whisk together until smooth, then add into the large bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Mix together the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients until the batter is smooth. Then, add in the vinegar and stir quickly, just until it is evenly distributed.
- Quickly transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan and then place in the pre-heated oven (don't let it stand around, because of the vinegar activating).
- Bake your cake in the pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes, or longer until fully done (until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out mostly clean).
- Allow your vegan chocolate cake to cool fully before frosting.
Looking for another vegan cake recipe? Here's dozens more vegan cake recipes to try, including classics such as more chocolate cakes, and some fun and creative vegan cakes, such as cake-mix cakes, dump cakes, rum cakes and more. If you like vegan baking, you might also want to try out some of my favorite vegan cookie recipes here.