Don't set out the mousetraps--these Chocolate Cherry Mice are utterly harmless and downright delicious! These edible mice are made from chocolate-covered cherries, decorated with chocolate kisses and almonds so that they look like candy mice! This is a great candy to make with kids because it doesn't require any cooking and only minimal assembly. Enjoy them on their own, or use them as a decoration for cakes or cupcakes.
- 24 maraschino cherries with stems
- 1 cup chocolate candy coating or chopped chocolate
- 24 chocolate kisses, unwrapped
- 48 almond slices
- 2 Tbsp. white chocolate chips
1. Line a baking sheet with foil or waxed paper. Drain the cherries from their liquid and pat them dry between two sheets of paper towel.
2. If you have the time, place the cherries and the chocolate kisses in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes to chill. Having them cold will make the chocolate harden faster and will make mouse assembly quicker and easier. This step is completely optional, however.
3. Melt the chocolate candy coating or chopped chocolate in the microwave, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating.
4. When the chocolate is melted, hold a cherry by the stem and dip it completely in the melted chocolate take it out of the chocolate and let the excess drop back into the bowl.
5. Press a chocolate kiss onto the top of the cherry (opposite the stem end) and then set the cherry on its side on the baking sheet. Quickly insert two almond slices between the kiss and the cherry to act as the mouse ears.
6. Repeat until all of the cherries have been dipped and your mice are assembled.
7. Melt the white chocolate chips in a small bowl or cup in the microwave. Use a toothpick to dot the chocolate onto the kisses to represent eyes, or place the chocolate in a plastic bag and cut off the corner to act as a makeshift piping bag. If desired, you can also add noses, mouths, or any other decorations to your mice.
8. Your chocolate cherry mice are now finished! They can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week or in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.