Chocolate chip icebox cookies are buttery and delicious cookies. The dough is chilled slightly and then it's rolled into logs and thoroughly chilled until it's very firm. Plan to let the dough logs chill for at least four hours or leave them in the refrigerator overnight.
These icebox cookies are filled with ground or finely chopped chocolate chips. Use a small food processor or chopper to grind or chop the chocolate chips for these cookies. Feel free to add finely chopped pecans or walnuts to these cookies.
- In large mixing bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter and sugars together until light; add eggs, vanilla, and salt and beat until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour. Stir in the ground chocolate chips.
- Chill the dough for about 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until firm enough to shape.
- Divide dough into 2 portions; form each portion into a log and wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper.
- Refrigerate the dough logs for at least 4 hours, or until very firm.
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, or lightly grease the pan.
- Cut a log into 1/4-inch slices and place on the prepared baking sheet about an inch apart.
- Bake the cookies for 9 to 12 minutes.