These easy chocolate coconut macaroons are great cookies to bake for a chocolate craving. The mixture is heated to melt the chocolate and then the cookies are briefly baked.
You'll have delicious chocolate macaroon cookies in less than 25 minutes!
For some extra crunch, add chopped pecans or walnuts, or add about 1/2 cup of raisins for some chewy texture. Use sweetened or unsweetened flaked coconut in the recipe.
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces shredded coconut (sweetened or not)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or grease them well.
- In a saucepan or the top of a double boiler, combine the sweetened condensed milk with the chocolate and salt.
- Cook over low heat or in the top of a double boiler over boiling water, stirring frequently until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is thick; remove from heat.
- Add the coconut and vanilla to the chocolate mixture and stir to mix well.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto the prepared cookie sheets, leaving about 1/2-inch to 1 inch between the cookies.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cookies are set.
- Remove the chocolate coconut macaroons from cookie sheets to wire rack to cool completely.
"I love this recipe! Since I bought some chocolate coconut macaroons at the local bakery, I have been craving this delicious confection. This recipe was so easy, my kids and I put it together in 10 minutes and in the oven it goes! The finished macaroons have a nice crispy layer on the outside and a soft chewy coconut center with rich chocolate flavor. Try them with vanilla ice cream and you would not be disappointed. Make sure you don't use sweetened or flake coconut for this recipe. I used Bob's Red Mill medium shredded coconut which works great." J.M.