Chocolate covered banana overnight oats are a decadent but ridiculous easy breakfast recipe! All you need is old fashioned oats, cocoa powder, milk, maple syrup, and bananas! This is a great recipe for making an entire week of breakfasts ahead of time! You can easily double, triple, or quadruple this recipe! It's perfect for creating breakfast on the go for the whole family!
I prefer using old fashioned rolled oats rather than the quick 1-minute oats. If you use the one minute oats it will take considerably less time for them to be "done." If they sit in the refrigerator too long they will become totally soggy, so be careful if that is all you have on hand!
You can substitute regular sugar or agave nectar for the maple syrup. I like the flavor of the maple syrup and that it is minimally refined. I also like using cow's milk from the farm in our town because of the beautiful grass fed Jersey cows! However if you are using coconut, soy, or almond milk just make sure you use unsweetened if you are going to use maple syrup! If you use sweetened milk, you will need less maple syrup!
- 3/4 cup of milk (cow's, almond, coconut, or soy)
- 3/4 cup rolled old fashioned oats (avoid using 1 minute or quick cooking oats)
- 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons of maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips
- 1/2 of one banana, sliced
- It's very easy to prepare, store, and serve this oatmeal recipe all in the same air tight container, such as a mason jar.
- Whisk together the milk, cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt in the mason jar or other air tight container.
- Add the oats and stir until completely combined. The cocoa powder may be a little reluctant to mix, just keep stirring! Place the lid on the container when you are done mixing!
- Place the container in the refrigerator for at least 5 hours and ideally overnight. It will be softened and completely ready to go in the morning. You can heat it up if you like, but it tastes delicious cold and then you avoid any cooking whatsoever!
- Add the sliced banana and chocolate chips to the top of the oatmeal and enjoy!