These cookies are flavorful and chewy, and they make a great weekend treat or lunchbox addition. Make these with walnuts or pecans, or make them without nuts and sprinkle with a little sugar while they're hot.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cups finely chopped walnuts or pecans, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- On low speed, beat in flour mixture a little at a time, until well blended and smooth. Stir in chopped walnuts.
- Drop chocolate cookie dough onto greased baking sheets by rounded tablespoons, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until set. If desired, sprinkle with some granulated sugar while they're hot.
- Let the cookies cool on the pans on a rack for about 5 minutes; transfer chocolate cookies to the rack to cool completely.
- Makes about 4 to 5 dozen chocolate cookies.
More Chocolate Cookies
Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies