This Chocolate Fudge Cake is the most fabulously rich chocolate cake. It's the perfect chocolate cake for the chocolate lover in your life, especially if it's frosted with this recipe for Chocolate Fudge Frosting.
Variations on a Chocoholic Theme
If you want to stun your guests with a delicious, fancy version of this standard, serve them Chocolate Macaroon Cake that will have them begging for the recipe. If you’re counting calories, you don’t have to completely abandon rich desserts. This Low Fat Apple German Chocolate Cake will satisfy your sweet tooth while keeping your waistline trim. In lieu of after-dinner libations, you might reward your dinner guest with a dizzying Chocolate Liqueur Cake.
Types of Chocolate
The Chocolate Fudge Cake recipe above calls for unsweetened chocolate, just one of many types of chocolate. Unsweetened chocolate, often called "baking chocolate," contains primarily cocoa solids and cocoa butter in varying proportions.
Much of the chocolate consumed today is actually in the form of sweet chocolate, which combines chocolate with sugar. Milk chocolate is sweet chocolate that also contains milk powder or condensed milk. White chocolate contains cocoa butter, sugar, and milk, but no cocoa solids. White chocolate, although similar in texture to that of milk and dark chocolate, does not contain any cocoa solids.
Dark chocolate is produced by adding fat and sugar to the cacao mixture. Bittersweet chocolate is chocolate liquor to which some sugar (typically a third), more cocoa butter and vanilla have been added. It has less sugar and more liquor than semisweet chocolate, but the two are interchangeable in baking.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the first set of ingredients with a wire whisk. Set aside.
- In a microwavable container melt chocolate with water. Microwave 1 minute and check chocolate. If not melted, continue microwaving for 10 seconds at a time. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla and mix. Pour in the chocolate a little at a time and mix. Combine completely. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk until all is used.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 27 to 35 minutes until tested with a toothpick and cake has pulled away from the pans.
- Frost Chocolate Fudge Cake as desired.