This is a recipe for German chocolate cake from scratch, with a coconut pecan frosting and filling. Layer up with this homemade layer cake and begin to feel the magical-ness of German sweet chocolate. It's so delicious that you'll probably have more than one piece and that is OK!
- 4 ounces Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate (melted and cooled)
- 2 1/3 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup buttermilk (divided)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- For the Coconut Pecan Frosting and Filling:
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg yolks (slightly beaten)
- 1 1/3 cups Baker's Angel Flake coconut (3-ounce can)
- 1 cup pecans (chopped)
- Grease two 9-inch layer cake pans and line bottoms with waxed paper.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Cream butter; add flour mixture, 3/4 cup buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Stir until dry ingredients are moistened; beat at medium speed of electric mixer for 2 minutes, scraping bowl from time to time. Add melted chocolate, eggs, and remaining 1/4 cup buttermilk. Beat 1 minute longer.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans. Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for about 35 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on rack for 15 minutes. Remove and cool completely on racks.
- Frost with coconut pecan frosting, below.
Coconut Pecan Frosting and Filling:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine milk, sugars, butter, and vanilla.
- Bring to a full boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat (mixture might appear a bit curdled).
- Quickly stir a small amount of the hot liquid into the beaten egg yolks; return egg yolk mixture to the hot mixture in saucepan and blend well. Return to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in coconut and pecans.
- Cool to spreading consistency, beating occasionally.
More Chocolate Cake Recipes:
Swiss Chocolate Cake Recipe
Vera's Chocolate Cake
Upside Down German Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Butter Cake
Chocolate Sour Cream Cake and Frosting
Chocolate Shadow Cake and Frosting
Company Chocolate Cake Recipe
Chocolate Banana Cake
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
Mississippi Mud Chocolate Cake
Turtle Chocolate Cake
Kahlua Bowl Cake
Wacky Chocolate Cake