This chocolate mayonnaise cake has long been a favorite with my family. Mayonnaise is the secret ingredient in this super easy, moist chocolate cake and the optional peanut butter frosting is amazing. Mayonnaise replaces the eggs and oil in this easy chocolate cake.
I frosted it with the included fluffy peanut butter frosting (pictured), but feel free to dust the cake with powdered sugar or use this fluffy caramel cream cheese frosting or a basic butter frosting.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Easy Peanut Butter Frosting
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- milk or cream, if necessary
- he rHeat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4). Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, soda and salt.
- Whisk the sugar and mayonnaise until smooth. Whisk in the vanilla and water.
- Add dry ingredients to the mayonnaise mixture; whisk until well blended.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly touched in the center with a finger.
- Cool, remove from the pan. Dust with confectioners' sugar or frost with the peanut butter frosting, if desired.
Easy Peanut Butter Frosting
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed, beat 6 tablespoons of softened butter with 3/4 cup of creamy peanut butter and 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract, if using.
- With the mixer on low speed, beat in the confectioners' sugar. Increase the speed to high and beat until fluffy. If the frosting is too thick, add milk or cream in small amounts.
- "Great recipe, just like I remember my grandma made. Add a 12oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips and dust the cake with powdered sugar and voila! Done!" M.D.
- "I have made this cake many times with my mother your recipe varies from that of the one my mother has. I will make this cake each and every time instead of a box cake. Thank you for sharing your recipe with us." Mary
- "I was out of everything and did not feel like lugging the kids to the store. The recipe was easy and tasted delicious. I even made my own cream cheese icing." Carlie
You Might Also Like