This mounds cake is rich and delicious! A warm chocolate cake (from a mix!) is topped with a sauce made with coconut and marshmallows and then it is finished with chocolate and pecan icing. The icing in this version is made with cocoa.
This is an excellent cake to make for a special event, a potluck, or for an office party.
Feel free to omit the nuts in the icing.
- 1 box Devil's food or chocolate fudge cake mix plus eggs, oil, and water per package instructions
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 24 large marshmallows
- 1 cup milk
- 14 ounces frozen coconut, thawed*
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 3 1/2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 box powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Prepare the Cake
- Heat the oven to 350 F or 375 F as directed on the cake mix package.
- Grease and flour a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan,
- Prepare the cake mix as directed on the package for a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan. Bake as directed and remove to a rack. Don't remove the cake from the pan.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the granulated sugar, marshmallows and 1 cup of milk. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the marshmallows have melted and the mixture is smooth. Add the coconut and then spread the mixture over the warm cake.
- Cool the cake completely before icing (below).
Make the Icing
- In a saucepan combine the butter, 6 tablespoons of milk, and cocoa; bring to a boil. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar and blend well. Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Spread the icing over the cooled cake.
*Frozen coconut is popular in the South but might be difficult to find in other areas. You might find Birdseye frozen coconut in a Wal-Mart store. Check Walmart.com to see if it's available locally.
"This was a very easy and delicious cake. I will definitely be making it again. I left out the nuts, but it was just as good without them." Lalu
You Might Also Like