Passionate home cooks know that sometimes the best holiday gift is one straight from the heart... and the kitchen. These chocolate wafer pecan whiskey balls make for a beautiful and decadent gift. This version of the classic bourbon balls calls for chocolate wafer cookie crumbs to add sinful richness of pecans and your favorite whiskey. They are definitely not a gift for the kids. Beyond the taste, the best part about these candy gems is that they keep extremely well, so they make for a great gift or a treat to hold on to -- if you can stay away from them.
If you have planned these beautiful adult-only candies as a gift, be sure to make a second batch. You'll want to keep some for yourself, trust us.
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup chocolate wafer cookie crumbs
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1½ tablespoons light corn syrup
- ¼ cup favorite high-quality whiskey*
- Powdered sugar for rolling
- Grind the pecans and the chocolate wafers coarsely in a food processor and empty into a large bowl.
- Mix in the sugar, corn syrup, and whiskey very thoroughly (I use my hands).
- Shape the mixture into balls the size of a quarter and roll in powdered sugar.
- Keep in an airtight container in a cool place, or freeze on a baking sheet until each is firm and store in tightly sealed plastic bags.
When it comes to giving homemade candies as gifts, half the battle is the presentation.
Though we love the simple powdered sugar rolled versions, when we give these chocolate whiskey delights as gifts, we change things up a bit. We'll roll some in powdered sugar, dip some in delicious melted milk chocolate, and even roll a few in some finely chopped candied pecans. Get creative. If you're on the alcohol-infused dessert train, be sure to check out these Chocolate-Dipped Grand Marnier Infused Strawberries as well. They make for a beautiful companion gift to the whiskey balls for someone special.
*Cook's Note: You can use any high-quality whiskey or bourbon you like. We love Maker's Mark.
A Note from the Author: "A variation of the classic Bourbon Balls, the chocolate cookie crumbs make these sinfully rich and very chocolatey! Substitute your favorite liquor for the whiskey, or roll them in finely chopped pecans instead of sugar, if you prefer. These keep well and are marvelous with eggnog." -- Emily Crumpacker
Recipe Source: Seasonal Gifts from the Kitchen by Emily Crumpacker (Wm. Morrow & Co, Inc)
Reprinted with permission.
Author Emily Crumpacker gives home cooks a variety of beautiful and seasonal recipes for gift giving. What better gift for a passionate cook to give than a gift made in their own kitchen? Along with great gift recipes like these chocolate whiskey balls, Crumpacker provides readers with tidbits of great advice on food preservation and presentation.