Here's an easy chicken recipe from Cindy, using only 5 ingredients. The Tex-Mex flavors stand out in this tasty dish, and the crock pot makes it super easy.
Make this easy Mexican-style rice to go with the chicken and serve it with warm tortillas or cornbread. I recommend 1 1/2 to 2 cups of salsa.
The recipe can be scaled up or down easily.
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (12 to 15 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup bottled thick and chunky salsa or Pace Picante Sauce
- 5 or 6 boneless chicken breast halves, without skin (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
In a 3-1/2- to 5-quart slow cooker, mix together the black beans, corn, and 1/2 cup of the salsa.
Top with the chicken breasts, then pour the remaining 1/2 cup salsa over the chicken. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the chicken is tender and white throughout. Do not overcook or the chicken will be dry.
Sprinkle cheese on top; cover and cook until the cheese melts, about 5 to 15 minutes.
Tips and Variations
- Chop or shred the chicken and serve it on soft tortillas with the salsa mixture. Top with shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
- Replace the chicken breasts with boneless chicken thighs.
- Slice an onion and add it to the slow cooker with the beans and corn.
- Omit the cheese or use a cheddar jack or Mexican blend of cheeses, or use pepper jack or taco seasoned cheese.
- Avoid cooking the chicken breasts for much longer than the recommended time. Chicken breasts are very lean, so they tend to dry out when overcooked. If you must cook it longer, try the recipe with boneless chicken thighs.
You Might Also Like